Anzolo Fuga, born in 1914, came from one of Murano’s oldest and most distinguished glassblowing lineages, dating back to the Middle Ages. His father, Emilio Fuga, was director of the Cristalleria di Venezia e Murano, which made French-style crystals that were ground or decorated with acid.
Anzolo attended the Istituto d’Arte di Venezia, a prestigious high school for the arts where the teachers were artists themselves and often experts in glassmaking. There, he developed a serious interest in stained glass.
In 1938 he started a new stained-glass department within the Istituto and went on to dedicate much of his life to the creation of stained-glass panels.
From 1955 through 1968 Fuga designed glass for one of the most important glass houses on Murano, Arte Vetraria Muranese (or A.V.E.M.), which was owned by Ada Ferro, the only female owner and manager of a glass house in the 1950s and 1960s.
Fuga’s pieces were extraordinarily modern for his time . Anzolo Fuga died in 1998 and Murano lost one of the most creative and artistic minds of the twentieth century.